7 Iconic Addresses on Avenue Montaigne, Paris
Avenue Montaigne is one of the most prestigious streets in all of Paris. Numerous luxury designers have established boutiques on this wide avenue, not far from the Champs Elysées. Interestingly enough, while both fast fashion retailers and high fashion couture houses share a home on the Champs Elysées, Avenue Montaigne is almost exclusively reserved for high fashion designers. From Dior to Chanel to Céline, Avenue Montaigne is the epitome of luxury shopping streets in Paris – surpassing the famous Champs Elysées and Rue Saint Honoré for this distinction.
Avenue Montaigne was originally called Allée des Veuves or “widow’s alley” in the 18th century, because it was a gathering place for mourning widows. The present day name comes from Michel de Montaigne, a French Renaissance writer.
Here are seven of the most iconic addresses on the Avenue Montaigne:
1. Théâtre des Champs-Elysées – Constructed in 1913, this theater is the first example of Art Deco architecture in Paris. At the time, it was a shock to have a building made of reinforced concrete, but the material was necessary to use due to the proximity of the Seine River.
15 Avenue Montaigne
2. Hôtel Plaza Athénée – With incredible views of the Eiffel Tower, the Hotel Plaza Athénée has been the foremost luxury hotel serving the area since its opening in 1913. Everyone from Grace Kelly to Chiara Ferragni has stayed here!
25 Avenue Montaigne
3. L’Avenue Restaurant – A favorite restaurant during Fashion Week, L’Avenue is synonymous with glitz and glamour. Many a celebrity has been spotted dining at this Parisian hotspot.
41 Avenue Montaigne
4. Dior – The Dior boutique on Avenue Montaigne is known for its eclectic changing façades. It was built in 1865 by the illegitimate son of Napoleon.
30 Avenue Montaigne
5. Chanel – While not the flagship (that’s found on Rue Cambon), this Chanel boutique is one of the best.
51 Avenue Montaigne
6. Céline – A newcomer to the street, this Céline boutique fits right in with its high end French fashion boutique neighbors.
53 Avenue Montaigne
7. Artcurial – A trendy contemporary auction house, Artcurial sits in a stunning building on the corner of Avenue Montaigne and overlooks the round point of the Champs Elysées.
7 Rond-Point des Champs-Élysées Marcel-Dassault